Peppermint hot chocolate bombs are a fun way to enjoy a decadent beverage this holiday season. Prepare a batch or two and keep them on hand throughout the season to enjoy a festive hot chocolate for one (or two) any night of the week. Peppermint hot chocolate bombs also make for a simple and thoughtful homemade Christmas gift!
Peppermint hot chocolate bombs may become the non-alcoholic beverage of the season. They are delicious chocolate truffles stuffed with hot cocoa mix, marshmallows and crushed candy canes.
Add to a mug of hot milk and watch it transform into a sweet and decadent hot cocoa treat.
One of my favorite things to do during the winter, and especially around the holidays, as the weather turns colder and the days shorter is to curl up on the couch with a steaming cup of hot cocoa. Hot chocolate is also a Christmas morning tradition!
Making Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs require just a few kitchen essentials and some chill time but otherwise are so simple to make. The most basic hot chocolate bomb recipe includes the chocolate truffle filled with hot cocoa mix.
Peppermint hot chocolate bombs are a twist on that simple recipe. These hot chocolate truffles are also stuffed with crushed peppermint (candy canes) and mini marshmallows.
Once the chocolate melts, you’re left with a smooth, creamy, peppermint infused chocolate drink with adorable mini marshmallows. If the holiday season had a flavor, I think this is what it would be!
Tips and Tricks:
- Be sure to use a silicone chocolate mold. They are more flexible and release the chocolate easier than plastic or metal molds, therefore less chance to break or crack the chocolate when removing!
- Whether melting the chocolate in the microwave or stovetop, stir frequently to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Load these peppermint hot chocolate truffles up with hot cocoa, marshmallows and candy canes but don’t overfill. You want the top half to seal completely.
If this is your first time making hot chocolate bombs, check out my beginner’s guide to hot chocolate bombs. It’s full of all the tips and tricks you’ll need to make any kind of hot chocolate bomb you can imagine!
Recommended Kitchen Tools
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Check out my Amazon shop to see all of my recommended kitchen tools.
Check out my Hot Chocolate Bomb Shop for all my recommended tools.
- silicone chocolate mold – Heat resistant and non-stick, both necessary when molding hot, melted chocolate into shape. It’s also flexible, which makes it easier to work with compared to a metal mold.
- microwave safe bowl – or – double boiler (small saucepan and a metal or glass mixing bowl)
- wire whisk
- silicone spatula
- glass or ceramic dinner plate
- metal spoon
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
These peppermint hot chocolate bombs can last for a week or two in a cool place in an airtight container. For that reason, I love make a batch or two and keep them on hand for any night that hot chocolate craving hits. Just drop one into a mug of hot milk for a delicious drink in minutes!
If you like to give small, edible gifts, hot chocolate bombs are a great option! Add a few in a mug or package them in cute wrapping for a simple gift. Great for teachers, mailmen, or anyone else you want to give a sweet treat!
Also check out my Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs and Cookies and Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs.
If you like this recipe, please give it a FIVE STAR rating and share it on your favorite social channel!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs
To Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 6 ounces semi-sweet* baking chocolate (chopped (or 1 cup chocolate chips))
- 6 TBSP hot cocoa mix
- 3 dozen mini marshmallows (just under 1/2 cup)
- 3 Candy canes (crushed)
- 3 ounces white* baking chocolate ((or ½ cup white chocolate chips) for topping (optional))
To Make Into Hot Chocolate
- 1 peppermint hot chocolate bomb
- 1 cups hot milk
- To Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs
- STOVETOP: Create a double boiler by setting a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Place 6 ounces chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate, (or 1 cup chocolate chips) into the top bowl. Stir often until chocolate is melted. MICROWAVE: Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat the chips on high in 15 second intervals stopping between each interval to stir. Continue to heat until chocolate is melted.
- Add a large spoonful of the melted chocolate into each of the 6 cavities in your silicone chocolate bomb mold. Smooth the chocolate up the sides of the mold with the back of a spoon making sure to completely coat the sides of each cavity.
- Refrigerate or freeze for a few minutes to set.
- Reheat the chocolate if necessary, then repeat the process by adding another spoonful of melted chocolate into each of the chilled mold cavities. Return the mold to the refrigerator or freezer to set.
- Remove the half rounds of set chocolate from the molds. Don’t force them! They should come out pretty easily.
- Fill each of the three bottom half rounds with 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix, 12 mini marshmallows, and a tablespoon of crushed candy canes.
- STOVETOP: Heat a plate over the pot of boiling water until warm enough to melt chocolate. MICROWAVE: Heat a microwave safe plate for a few seconds, until warm enough to melt chocolate.
- Working with one bomb at a time, press one of the top half rounds against the heated plate to slightly melt the rim. Place the empty half round over the filled bottom half round to seal. Repeat with the remaining two chocolate bombs.
- If your seams are not tight enough or if they look messy, warm a spoon (dipping it in the hot water or run it under a hot faucet) then run back of the spoon along the seam to melt the chocolate and seal the edge.
- OPTIONAL: Melt the white chocolate chips (use the same method as step 1) then drizzle over the filled chocolate bombs, finishing with a sprinkling of crushed candy canes. Return to the refrigerator or freezer to set.
- To Make Into Hot Chocolate
- Heat the milk either on the stovetop or in the microwave, being careful not to burn or scald it.
- Place one hot chocolate bomb into you favorite large cup or mug. Pour the hot milk over the ball. The hot chocolate bomb should burst open, releasing the hot cocoa, marshmallows and peppermint. Stir until smooth and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is for general information purposes only. For the most accurate information, calculate using your select brands and exact measurements.