Irish cream hot chocolate bombs turn your favorite cold-weather beverage into a delicious and warm dessert cocktail. To make this adults-only holiday beverage you’ll need a silicone chocolate mold, a few ingredients, and some Irish cream liqueur.
As the weather turns cold and snow begins to fall, I find myself searching for those warm and comforting foods and drinks. You know, the ones that warm you up from the inside out. Those that are just meant to be consumed while it’s snowing.
Hot chocolate is one of those for me, and I am completely on board with the hot chocolate bomb fad that has taken this holiday season by storm. Beyond the basic hot chocolate bombs, I’ve also fallen in love with peppermint hot chocolate bombs and cookies and cream chocolate bombs.
Both are delicious non-alcoholic beverages but some days I just need something with a little splash of something extra. Enter these Irish cream hot chocolate bombs!
I love enjoying this adult-only hot chocolate in the evening with friends or by myself after a stressful day.
Making Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs
These hot chocolate bombs are dessert and a cocktail all in one and one I highly recommend. Afterall, a chocolate truffle exploding in hot milk is only made better by a shot of Irish cream.
To make this adult hot chocolate, begin with the basic hot chocolate bomb recipe with milk chocolate and cocoa mix. We then take it up a notch with the addition of mini marshmallows and some instant coffee or instant espresso.
When you’re ready to indulge in this delicious hot holiday beverage add in a generous shot of Irish cream liqueur along with the hot milk then stir until it’s smooth and creamy.
Tips and Tricks
- Do not put the Irish cream inside the truffle. It will compromise the chocolate and leak.
- Use a silicone mold. Plastic and metal do not work as well and there is a greater chance of the mold melting or the chocolate breaking.
- Be sure to let the chocolate cool completely before adding the filling.
- Do not overstuff the bottom half as you want to ensure that the top half is able to seal completely.
If this is your first time making hot chocolate bombs, check out my beginner’s guide to hot chocolate bombs. It’s full of all the tips and tricks you’ll need to make any kind of hot chocolate bomb you can imagine!
Recommended Kitchen Tools
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Check out my Amazon shop to see all of my recommended kitchen tools.
Check out my Hot Chocolate Bomb Shop for all my recommended tools.
- silicone chocolate mold – Heat resistant and non-stick, both necessary when molding hot, melted chocolate into shape. It’s also flexible, which makes it easier to work with compared to a metal mold.
- microwave safe bowl – or – double boiler (small saucepan and a metal or glass mixing bowl)
- wire whisk
- silicone spatula
- glass or ceramic dinner plate
- metal spoon
Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
Irish cream hot chocolate bombs make a simple and delicious adult holiday beverage. With just a few tools and basic ingredients, you can turn your favorite hot chocolate into a holiday cocktail.
They also make an ideal gift for friends and neighbors. Simply pack up the hot chocolate bombs with a personalized mug and a mini bottle of Irish cream liqueur.
If you like this recipe, please give it a FIVE STAR rating and share it on your favorite social channel!
Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs
To Make Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 6 ounces white* baking chocolate (chopped (or 1 cup chocolate chips))
- 6 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 3 dozen mini marshmallows (just under 1/2 cup)
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee or instant espresso
To Make Into Hot Chocolate
- 1 Irish cream hot chocolate bomb
- 1 shot of Irish cream liqueur
- 1 cup hot milk
- To Make Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs
- STOVETOP: Create a double boiler by setting a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Place 6 ounces chopped white baking chocolate, (or 1 cup chocolate chips) into the top bowl. Stir often until chocolate is melted. MICROWAVE: Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat the chips on high in 15 second intervals stopping between each interval to stir. Continue to heat until chocolate is melted.
- Add a large spoonful of the melted chocolate into each of the 6 cavities in your silicone chocolate bomb mold. Smooth the chocolate up the sides of the mold with the back of a spoon making sure to completely coat the sides of each cavity.
- Refrigerate or freeze for a few minutes to set.
- Reheat the chocolate if necessary, then repeat the process by adding another spoonful of melted chocolate into each of the chilled mold cavities. Return the mold to the refrigerator or freezer to set.
- Remove the half rounds of set chocolate from the molds. Don’t force them! They should come out pretty easily.
- Fill each of the three bottom half rounds with 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix, 12 mini marshmallows, and a teaspoon of instant coffee.
- STOVETOP: Heat a plate over the pot of boiling water until warm enough to melt chocolate. MICROWAVE: Heat a microwave safe plate for a few seconds, until warm enough to melt chocolate.
- Working with one bomb at a time, press one of the top half rounds against the heated plate to slightly melt the rim and smooth out the edge. Place the empty half round over the filled bottom half round to seal. Repeat with the remaining two chocolate bombs.
- If your seams are not tight enough or if they look messy, warm a spoon (dipping it in the hot water or run it under a hot faucet) then run back of the spoon along the seam to melt the chocolate and seal the edge.
- OPTIONAL: Reheat any leftover chocolate chips (use the same method as step 1) then drizzle over the filled chocolate bombs, finishing with a dusting of extra hot cocoa mix. Return to the refrigerator or freezer to fully set.
- To Make Into Hot Chocolate
- Heat the milk either on the stovetop or in the microwave, being careful not to burn or scald it.
- Place one hot chocolate bomb into you favorite large cup or mug. Pour the hot milk over the ball and add in a shot of Irish cream liqueur. The hot chocolate bomb should burst open, releasing the hot cocoa, marshmallows and instant coffee. Stir until smooth and enjoy.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated and is for general information purposes only. For the most accurate information, calculate using your select brands and exact measurements.
For the step by step version of this recipe, check out the Irish Cream Hot Chocolate Bombs Story.