This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayTreatMaking #CollectiveBias
Ultimate Holiday Rice Krispies® Treats: smooth peanut butter, creamy caramel, and rich dark chocolate come together to make your holiday treat making magic.
Holiday time is baking time at my house and no holiday is complete without a pan or two of Rice Krispies® Treats. The crunchy Rice Krispies® and sweet, sticky marshmallows bring back memories of my childhood.
Growing up, my mom always made us Rice Krispies® Treats made with peanut butter. It was a great way to sneak a little extra protein into our sweet snacks and to this day it’s still my favorite way to enjoy a Rice Krispies® Treat.
This year, I’m combining my mom’s peanut butter Rice Krispies® Treats with chocolate and caramel to make the ultimate holiday version of this timeless classic. These Ultimate Holiday Rice Krispies® Treats will take your Rice Krispies® Treats to a whole new level!
One of my favorite things about Rice Krispies® Treats is that they are so easy to make.
The classic version includes just 3 ingredients and comes together in under 10 minutes. This version calls for 6 ingredients and takes about 12 minutes.
You’ll need the Rice Krispies®, marshmallows, and butter as usual, but you’ll also need peanut butter, a jar of caramel sauce, and a bar of chocolate. In the pictures I chose to use a dulce de leche, but any kind of thicker caramel will work. I selected dark chocolate, but you could also use milk chocolate or even white chocolate. Even chocolate chips would work too.
I was able to find all the ingredients at my local Walmart. As you can see in the photo below, the Rice Krispies® were easy to find in the cereal aisle right next to all the other Kellogg’s® cereals.
You will need a 9″ by 13″ pan for assembling these treats. Slather the pan with a layer of butter to make sure your sticky treats release easily when it’s time to eat. Open your bag of marshmallow (the miniature version melts best) and measure out the Rice Krispies®, peanut butter, and butter. Place a large pot on a burner over a medium flame – I find my 6-quart dutch oven works well.
Place the butter in the hot pan and let it melt. Add the peanut butter and marshmallows, stirring constantly. Keep cooking and stirring until all of the marshmallows have melted and blended in with the peanut butter. Turn off the heat, then add the Rice Krispies®, stirring until they are evenly coated. Dump the mixture into the 9″ by 13″ pan and press it down evenly using the back of a spoon.
While the Rice Krispies® Treats cool, prep the chocolate and caramel. Chop the chocolate into small, uneven chunks. A sharp, straight blade knife, with even downward pressure works much better than attempting to saw back and forth.
Heat the caramel so that it’s thin enough to drizzle on top. I measured 1/2 cup of caramel into a glass 1-cup measuring cup and microwaved it on high, stirring it at 20 second intervals until it reached the right consistency. The total time will depend on both the caramel and the microwave.
Once the caramel is ready, use a whisk or spoon to drizzle it evenly across the top of the Rice Krispies® Treats. The sticky caramel base will make the chocolate chunks stick, so make sure to get it all the way to the edges and corners.
Immediately after drizzling on the caramel sprinkle on the chocolate chunks, trying to spread them out as evenly as possible. As difficult as it is, let the caramel cool before cutting them into bars. It shouldn’t take too long, and can be done in about 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
Enjoy these Ultimate Holiday Rice Krispies® Treats with your family, wrap them up as gifts for your coworkers at the office, or share them with friends at your next holiday party!
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to pin it for later! For more great recipes like this one, sign up for the Sunday Spotlight in the box below. It’s a bi-weekly newsletter with recipe updates, behind the scenes info, and exclusive bonus information. It goes great with your Sunday morning coffee!
Ultimate Holiday Rice Krispies® Treats Recipe
Holiday Rice Krispies® Treats
For the Rice Krispies® Treats:
- 6 cups Rice Krispies®
- 1 - 10 ounce bag of miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup of jarred caramel sauce
- 1/2 of a bar of dark chocolate
For the Rice Krispies® Treats:
- Butter a 9" by 13" pan.
- Open the marshmallows and measure out the Rice Krispies®, peanut butter, and butter.
- Place a 6 quart or larger pot on a burner over a medium flame.
- Place the butter in the hot pan and let it melt.
- Add the peanut butter and marshmallows, stirring constantly. Keep cooking and stirring until all of the marshmallows have melted and blended in with the peanut butter.
- Turn off the heat and add the Rice Krispies®, stirring until they are evenly coated.
- Dump the mixture into the 9" by 13" pan and press it down evenly using the back of a spoon.
For the Topping:
- Chop the chocolate into small, uneven chunks.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of caramel into a glass 1-cup measuring cup and microwave it on high, stirring it at 20 second intervals until it is thin enough to drizzle on top.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the caramel evenly across the top of the Rice Krispies® Treats. The caramel base will make the chocolate chunks stick, so make sure to get it all the way to the edges and corners.
- Immediately after drizzling on the caramel sprinkle on the chocolate chunks, again trying to spread them out as evenly as possible.
- Let the caramel topping cool before cutting into bars.